Sunday, August 2, 2009

A sincere Thank You to everyone who both came out and supported the climb4theclimb event. Participants braved hot and sweaty conditions, logging in more flights than I'd thought possible in a given time. The morale and donation support is huge and I'm grateful for it.

We wasted no time and posted up at the cabin dojo the next day, bailing on the original plan to head straight to Mt. Pilchuck due to the heat. My body has a hard time with high temps and don't wish to push my luck getting a stroke. I've spent the week cranking the new bike uphill and figuring out the peculiarities of it.

The first lesson is simply getting used to the pace. I gain elevation one measured turn at a time, the ground underneath crawling by a few feet from my face.

It's hard work! My attitude is that I'm excited to set a benchmark of where I'm at. Given time and training, I can only get stronger. Already, the bike gets me stretching out in new positions and works every firing nerve in my body. I've been alternately riding the bike to exhaustion and swimming in the lake until I need to be physically lifted out of the water. Rest. Eat. Get back on the bike.

Tomorrow we'll be heading to the trail head and setting a benchmark as to how far we can make it. From there, we work to get a little farther each time until we reach the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment